Is content still king? We think strategic content promotion is the new king in town.
Knowing what tactics will get you the most bang for your buck in the business-to-business (B2B) world can seem overwhelming. Many companies feel like they need to do ‘all the things’ - right away, to get their content noticed.
What B2B companies really need to do is to pick the right tactics, execute them well and add more tactics when the time is right for your business.
Recently, Orbit Media shared an article that provides 76 tactics for content promotion to drive traffic to blog articles. It’s a great article, with lots of ideas. In our opinion, the list could be overwhelming for some with too many ideas for many B2B companies to realistically and effectively act on.
It’s like having too many flavours of ice cream to choose from, you have to decide on one (or in our case six). You shouldn’t choose them all, all at the same time.
If you need help deciding where to start, we’ve got your back. As B2B marketing experts, we’ve cut through the clutter and identified which ideas, consistently deliver high-impact results for B2B companies, without too much effort. Once these tactics are in place and being effectively executed, more tactics can be added. There really aren’t any ‘worst’ ideas per se, but there are certainly a number that will take more effort and deliver less bang for your buck.
We’ve evaluated the 76 ideas in the article based on these 7 characteristics:1. Which tactics work best in B2B
2. How organized you have to be to execute the idea
3. How much marketing infrastructure you need
4. How much know-how you need
5. How much lead time you need
6. How sustainable and scalable the idea is
7. How much budget is required
Our top 6 promoting content ideas for every B2B company from the article are to:
- Establish and post on LinkedIn. Do you want to learn more about how you can engage with your LinkedIn followers? Check out our blog post.
- Leverage employee advocacy. We call this employee amplification and you can learn more about it in this blog post.
- Email the article to your list. Every B2B needs to have a strong, current email list. Learn more about what you can do to make your message stand out here.
- Send a second “In case you missed it” email. This one is a no-brainer. Rarely do all messages get opened and thoroughly read. A few days/weeks after sending your original message, send it again, with a revised eye-catching subject line and/or call-to-action.
- Schedule 8 - 10 future social posts. Always having some great, relevant content available is crucial to avoid being overwhelmed by all the ideas available to B2B marketers. Repurpose relevant content and consider posting about holidays, recognition days or dates that are relevant to your business. Make sure you have a post scheduled and ready to go well in advance of these easy content wins. If you’re still thinking about the ice cream we mentioned earlier, in 2021, National Ice Cream Day is July 18. You’re welcome.
- Syndicate on LinkedIn. This one is easy and the article tells you how and when to do it. Learn more about how you can make a splash on LinkedIn for your B2B.
While every situation and company is different, we encourage you to review the full list to see which tactics make sense for your business - based on your industry, customers and strategy.
If you want to execute on high-impact promotion tactics, that you can accomplish with your current staffing and budget, you can’t go wrong by starting with our top 6.
If you’d like some help deciding what tactics are realistic and most doable for your B2B company, contact us today.
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive custom-crafted content and tools to help drive sustained sales growth and generate B2B leads.